9th Forest Governance Forum, Cameroon 2014
This 9th Forest Governance Forum took place from 22-24 October 2014 at the Hilton Hotel in Yaoundé, Cameroon. It was organised by by the IDL Group in partnership with FODER.
Creating Space for Stakeholder Participation in Forest Governance
This video, created at the 2014 FGF in Cameroon, showcases achievements, challenges and recommendations of the Forest Governance Forums. It includes a number of interviews with stakeholders form the community, government, civil society and the private sector.
Download FGF report
Overview of the event
This FGF was part of the ‘Strengthening African Forest Governance (SAFG)’ project and was funded by the European Union (EU) and the UK Department for International Development (DFID). It was implemented by the Centre for International Development and Training (CIDT) of the University of Wolverhampton and its partners.
This forum was attended by approximately 170 participants from a variety of organisations and was facilitated by Dr Tim Fomete. The opening remarks of the ceremony featured four speeches by the local and indigenous communities’ representative (Mr Dieudonné Tomboubou), the SAFG project Director (Mr Des Mahony), the First Advisor of the EU Delegation in Yaoundé (Mr Karl Rawert), and the Secretary General of the Ministry of Forestry and Wildlife (MINFOF) of Cameroon (Mr Denis Koulagna).
- Screening of a film on ‘The Road to Legality’ prepared by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
- First Session: 10 years of FLEGT
- Second Session: Coordination and communication in FLEGT – Third session: Sharing our challenges
- Fourth Session: International market trends and legislation
- Panel Discussion: What has FLEGT achieved?
- Six working groups with plenary sessions on:
- Independent Monitoring;
- LAS development;
- Stakeholder engagement;
- SMEs and the domestic market;
- VPAs and community forestry;
- Challenges to implementation