This course will explore key communication skills and tools which underpin anything from basic human interaction to complex multi-stakeholder processes. Drawing on key concepts from communication theory and analysis, you will reflect on communication challenges you face in your current role – both personal and strategic – and identify potential strategies for overcoming them. The course will focus on key communication skills sets of advocacy, negotiation, facilitation and presentation skills.
By the end of the training participants will be able to:
- Analyse the multiple roles of effective communication within your work;
- Demonstrate understanding of the barriers to effective communication;
- Analyse the causes and effects of communication breakdown;
- Plan and design effective communication based on an understanding of audience, purpose, relationships and media;
- Demonstrate improved presentation skills;
- Identify the role of advocacy and influencing skills in your work and explore how they might be enhanced;
- Critically reflect on the role of negotiation skills in your work and how to improve them;
- Practice a range of communication skills through role-play, simulation and group work tasks.
Our courses utilise a variety of methodologies, such as role play, reflective questionnaire, case studies, reflective journal, participatory analysis tools and much more. We design programmes to include a useful mix of hard and soft skills, combining practical tools and tips with brief ‘theoretical’ inputs where relevant. At CIDT we are great believers in experiential learning. Therefore our courses and workshops are very participatory and active in nature, so be prepared to share your ideas, experiences, problems, challenges and practices with other. We also believe that learning should be fun – so please also bring your sense of humor with you!
- Effective Communication
- Communication Analysis
- Communication Barriers and Breakdowns
- Developing a Communication Strategy
- Advocacy Skills
- Effective Representation & Negotiation
- Presentation Skills
What our participants say…
“Very entertaining, practical and direct approach.”
“The facilitators were excellent and had a very good working knowledge and understandings of our context. This made the course very special and interactive. Well done! It was very useful!”