Teaching & Training
CIDT has a long history of offering training and courses for capacity strengthening to a range of international development sectors and specialisms.
We offer both face-to-face training workshops and online learning programmes. Being based within a UK University enables us to ensure our courses are relevant at a practical and theoretical level.
Our training approach
CIDT favours an experiential approach to training which is consistent with best practice for adult learning. Typically participants:
- are facilitated through a process of experience, reflection, conceptualisation and planning.
- are able to use their own experience as a basis for learning.
- construct their own knowledge and meaning from experience.
- view content through the lens of their existing roles, responsibilities and challenges.
- can immediately begin to put into practice what they have learned.
- take responsibility for their own learning.
How can we help you?
- Conducing training needs assessment (TNA) and analysis.
- Designing tailor-made professional development courses and delivering short face-to-face training courses and workshops.
- Developing and hosting online training programmes.
- Organising and facilitating working sessions, high-level meetings and other participatory analysis or planning processes.
- Hosting study visits, technical placements/secondments, on-the-job training, and tailored professional development programmes for clients at our UK Campus.
Tailored to your requirements
We aim to make our courses and workshops as relevant to your organisation and sector as possible. For this reason the first step we take with our partners is often to undertake a training needs assessment, to enable us to understand your position and what your trainees or staff need.
Our professional and organisational development courses cover a wide variety of management, technical and skills training across a range of international development functions. They have been delivered to Governments, Donors, UN agencies, development banks and to the staff and stakeholders of projects and programmes.
You can view the list of courses below. We also offeror own online courses, as well as the creation of bespoke online courses for organisations. We are able to deliver courses in English, French and Spanish.
Masters in Business Administration (MBA) International Development
This MBA is a unique qualification for anyone seeking to develop a career in managing business, leading programmes or projects in an international development context, or a combination of these two.
You will expand your critical knowledge and strategic understanding of the current changes in both the business and geopolitical environment, and apply your learning to successfully lead resilient businesses with awareness of own impact locally and globally, and practical plan for effecting positive change through corporate social responsibility.
Managing for Development Results (MfDR)
MfDR courses include both training and facilitated workshops. Facilitated events can achieve a double outcome – building participant skills and producing a workshop output, such as a strategy, funding proposal or participant consensus.
We can create bespoke courses in the following areas.
- Training of Trainers
- Team Working and Team Building
- Personal Effectiveness
- Leadership and Management
- Coaching for Development
- Designing Training Programmes
- Communication Skills
- Negotiation and Influencing Skills
- Participatory Appraisal
- Effective Representation
- Community Consultation and Engagement
- Write Shops to produce training manuals and content