The Regional Forum on Forest Governance (FGF) was held from 30-31 October 2018 in Ledger Hotel in Brazzaville, under the patronage of the Prime Minister, Head of Government of the Republic of Congo. This event is the first of its kind for the CV4C project, but the 11th in a series of similar international conferences organised within the framework of the Centre for International Development and Training (CIDT)’s previous projects: Strengthening African Forest Governance (SAFG) and EU-Championing Forest Peoples’ Rights (CFPR) project.
The Forum received financial support from the CV4C project, co-funded by the European Union and the UK Department for International Development.
The Forum was attended by over 250 participants from civil society organisations, international organisations, donors, representatives from research institutions and private sector organisations were present. Participants hailed from the Congo Basin countries (Cameroon, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Gabon, and Republic of Congo) as well as Belgium, Chad, France, Ghana, Indonesia, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Nigeria, Poland, Switzerland, UK and USA.
Her Excellency Mrs. Rosalie Matondo, Minister of Forest Economy of the Republic of Congo was present during the opening and closing ceremony.
The Forum took form in 12 panel sessions covering the topics and themes:
- An Overview of the State of Forest Governance in the Region and beyond – COMIFAC
- VPA and TLAS Implementation
- Promoting Transparency and Public Procurement Policies
- Panel on Regional Legal Frameworks and Reform Processes
- Private Sector Engagement & Land-use
- Involving indigenous peoples and local communities in forest governance
- Forest Certification and forest governance links
- Fire Management Planning, Sustainable Forest Management, Climate Change Response
- The scope for building synergies between IFM and IWT
- The Accountability Framework initiative (AFi)
- Climate Change, Finance and REDD+
- Benefit Sharing, Gender and Funding
Over the two day forum, 49 presentations were made by 39 stakeholders*, many of which operate across the Congo Basin region and their respective countries (Cameroon, Central African republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Gabon, Republic of Congo), but also stakeholders operating beyond the region, notably from Ivory Coast, Indonesia, UK and USA.
* ACFAP, ATIBT, Brainforest, CCJ, CDHD, CEB/Precious Woods, CED, CIB/OLAM, CIDT, CIFOR, CLFT, Client Earth, CNIAF, Comifac, Communication Officer Platform for Sustainable Forest Management, Conservation Justice, FAO, Fern, FFAD, FLAG, FODER, FSC, Interholco, JPIK Indonesia, MEF Indonesia, MEF RoC, MINFOF Cameroon, Ministry of Water and Forests Republic of Ivory Coast, P4F, PALF, PPECF, Proforest, Rainforest Alliance, SAILD, US Forest Services, World Bank, WRI, WWF, ZSL